Sunday, April 19, 2009

Messianic Judasim

While I had heard about Jews for Jesus before, and heard the term Messianic Jews, I really wasn't sure what it meant or what it was about. After reading Kollontai's piece describing this group of people, I have a much clearer understanding. Their beliefs are quite similar to most Jews, yet differ in the fact that they believe Jesus is the Jewish Messiah. Since we had been discussing different communities withing Judaism recently and their respective identities, naturally I had questioned the culture of Messianic Jews. Kollontai answers this question with, "Studies show that traditional Jewish lifestyle and life-cycle events are a very important part of Messianic Jewish identity, although Messianic Jews, like many contemporary Jews, vary in their degree of observance." (4). Kollontai also mentions that Messianic Jews are not respected by Contemporary Jews as part of the community. I wonder though, why not? Reform Jews have difference beliefs from Orthodox, but most would still consider them Jews. So in this difference or religious belief, why the debate? After reading further in the article, I can understand the resistance, as some feel, "The core of this opposition stems from the view that Messianic Judaism is a serious threat to Jewish identity and continuity because it is an extension of evangelical Christianity — a tool used to convert Jews to the fundamental beliefs, creeds, dogmas and practices of the Christian faith." (8)

When looking at www.mjaa.org, I went and found the directory of congregations of Messianic Jews. I was surprised to find one in Indianapolis, and one in Pittsburgh(my home town). After looking at other states, I found a few more overall than I would have expected; I didn't know this group was so large.

No comments:

Post a Comment