Sunday, April 5, 2009

Jews of Color

This week in class, we discussed a very interesting, yet rarely discussed topic, Jews of color. While I have never met an African American Jew, I have had a friend in the past that is a Jew and of Asian heritage. Therefore, since I had no prior experience even discussing the subject, I was very open to learning about this community in Judaism.

In a video we watched in class showing an African-American shul, I was surprised to see how the Rabbi conducted his prayers. He said the same prayers as any Rabbi would, but had a slightly different tune, he added some "soul"! In thinking more about music's influence on Judaism, i find this very interesting, as that type of tune is usually associated with African-American Gospel Church music. While Jews can't be considered a race, African-Americans and Jews both represent ethnicity and it is truly unique to see them blended together.

While reading the article titled "Jews of Color", I was shocked to say the least, when I read about the Rabbi that didn't believe Akemee was Jewish and the Yeshiva that drew Naomi away. Considering that Jews face anti-semitsim, I would expect them, especially leaders in the community, to be more aware and considerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment