Thursday, February 19, 2009

Heeb

For our assignment to read a Jewish magazine, I decided to read Heeb. In high school, I had read it once or twice before and at the time enjoyed seeing a popular national publication similar to any other pop-culture orientated magazine, but centered around things Jewish. Since then, I had almost long forgotten about the magazine until our assignment.

I enjoyed browsing the current edition. Just like in the past, I enjoyed the satirical humorous articles, such as the one about Bacon Wellington(clearly a food that violates the Kosher laws). It seems that the magazine is targeted at Jews who are fairly assimilated into American culture(probably not very religious) between the ages of 16-30. In this context, the Bacon Wellington article shows that even though one doesn't follow the laws of Kahrut, they aren't less Jewish. In a way the magazine presents Jewish culture for the modern day. I got this intention also from the article about Heeb reaching out to the three Jews live "where a bustling community of three Jews live among the throngs of Gore-tex –clad ski bunnies"(www.heeb.com).

Unlike most of my colleagues in class, I do not see much wrong with what Heeb does. Do not get me wrong, I in no way support mocking the Holocaust IN ANY WAY, but I do believe there is a reason and purpose for the competition. Just as we discussed in class, and has gotten national attention on Oprah; there are some Holocaust survivor stories that are stretching the truth. I think that the publicity this competition gets will actually bring to light the fact that some of these stories have been wrongly dramatized and made up. I am not insensitive to the subject at all, and again do not support mocking the Holocaust survivors in any way; but I do recognize this magazine is intended for humorous purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment